From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 19:53:28 -0700
Hi gang,

I am developing a relationship with Animal Control agencies in and all
around my area.  Wednesday night there was a message on my machine.  It was
late so I called Thursday morning.  They had a ferret.  The 72 hour holding
period was up and they wanted to turn the ferret over to us because they
thought he'd been injured by a cat, or even several cats.  I wish they'd
told us that Tuesday!  I was IN that city, 50 miles away, on Wednesday.  Oh
well.  It was already after 10am and I was afraid I could not get there to
pick up the ferret and get him to Roger (my vet) before Roger left for
lunch, he planned to be out until 3pm, and I thought the ferret needed
immediate attention.

Michael, a club member and wonderful shelter supporter who was much closer
than I, was available to pick up the ferret and take him to Roger.  It turns
out that he has "scabies" very bad!  His ears are awful with scabies, his
feet are swollen and probably have scabies too, and there are some places
that look like possible wounds on his stomach.  Roger gave him a shot of
Ivermectin, he'll get two more then should be fine.  The wounds are nothing
to worry about Roger says.

I brought him home today from Mike's.  He is so pitiful looking.  His ears
are swollen, one is "stuck" to the side of his head with crusty stuff, his
ears look like they've been chewed, I hope they heal up okay.  I feel so bad
for him.  Roger thinks he's maybe 1 year old, if that.  He is *very, very*
sweet!!  But he is easily terrified, often shaking.  A very dark sable boy,
can't tell if MF due to condition of ears, he is neutered.  Tonight he is
set up in a "castle"!!  He'd been abandoned by someone who left him in an
apartment, they did call Animal Control and tell them to go get the ferret
and some cats they left.

Finally, Animal Control is listening to me, and calling me and I DID SOME
GOOD!!  I have proof right here!  I am thrilled!

The ferret is eating and drinking and pooping fine.  I just want to sit and
hold this poor guy.  I am afraid he'll be a hard one for me to part with to
adopt out.  Oh well, we'll see how things go.

Kisses to the fuzzies,
Trish