From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:08:49 -0400
>He is willing but he said he would still like me to try and do an
>ultrasound and a tennessee panel, otherwise he is saying it's exploratory
>(which we all know is the bottom line with these things no matter what
>tests/panels are run).

I don't understand why you say that s the bottom line no matter what.
That's simply not true in all cases.  The ultrasound and Tennessee panel
are standard operating procedure.  Why would you not want to do that,
even if it is an extra step?

When Bailey was sick, we did the ultrasound.  Like our vet warned, it
showed nothing.  We did the panel, and that came back positive, so we had
to do the surgery.  That was almost 2 years ago.  Now, she is two years
older and has Insulinoma to boot.  When we thought there was something
wrong with her stomach/intestines, again, we did an ultrasound and blood
panel to see if the cancer had come back, or to see if she developed
Lymphoma.  I am not about to cut open a 6 year old ferret without stone
cold proof.  I wouldn't do it with a 2 year old ferret.

The bottom line is this: you are questioning your vet s competency.  That
is telling you that either you are fearful of what is going on (which is
natural) or that you are seriously questioning him.

Don't look to a mailing list for answers.  It's your ferret, your decision.
No one here has the right to tell you he is qualified or not based on how
many surgeries he has done, unless they have used him in the past and have
not cared for the results.  Question him yourself: You have the right.
It's your pet, your money.  You need to get this information for yourself
from him.  It is not fair to yourself or to him to get the answers from an
outside source that has nothing to do with him.  Trust your vet, or get
your pet out of there.  Take responsibility, and in the end, you will
learn from it.  I almost took my ferret out of a vet's care due to outside
influences that had never worked with him.  I decided to stay, and in the
end, knew I had made the right decision.

Julie