Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:18:19 -0500
>From: Selina <[log in to unmask]>
>"species appropriate diet" is rather vague in my opinion.  nature may
>set up an animal to eat a certain diet, but I'm inclined to think that
>nature can be very cruel and unpredictable, and its priorities are the
>preservation of a species rather than the health and longevity of
>individuals, although improving the latter certainly helps the former.

I chose the term "species appropriate" rather than raw or natural
because raw and natural seem to conjure up certain images in people's
minds. Whereas species appropriate seems to be more user friendly. :)
Nature can be very cruel I agree, but the animal's digestive system is
still the same and doesn't change because man decided to take over the
husbandry of the animal. In my reply to Sukie I believe I address alot
of your questions so I will try and not be redundant.

>I also think "best" diet is specific to an individual.  young, sick,
>and geriatric individuals probably having different requirements than
>a regular happy healthy one.

As I replied to Sukie, yes needs do change, but carnivores are still
carnivores. They don't suddenly develop the digestive system of an
omnivore as they age.

>kibble is definitely for man's convenience, and it may very well have
>sacrifice some health, however, keeping ferrets is man's whim,and it
>may very well prolong life for ferrets so they can afford to plague
>us with their health problems.

Plague us? No, it plagues them. Who is man to make it their whim that
animals should live with health problems for our benefit? Man's "whims"
have even affected our own health. And whose whim is it to have to tend
to a sickly animal? I would rather have an animal healthy and enjoying
life for a shorter period of time, than prolonging a life with a poor
quality. Man should strive to have its whims not at the expense of
others. And I do realize that with longer life come more chances for
ill health, that's just the law of odds. But, some of these diseases
could be lessoned or possibly eliminated with an appropriate diet that
doesn't stress the animals body to utilize it.

Again, it was nice to see Bob Church's post yesterday and his brief
diet comments. I hope he will elaborate further soon.

~Amy~