From:
Susan Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:55:59 +0000
Dear All,

I read the posts on the FML with some confusion.  There seem to be people
who think hissing is a good thing or did I read it wrong?

Hissing in ferrets is a very clear "Back off now" sound.  They use it
with each other when the rough and tumble gets too rough.  If they're
about to burn their whiskers on something for example, I use the hiss
as I know they will immediately respond.

Push some air through your throat, bring your bottom jaw and tongue up to
close the gap - voila - the perfect ferret hiss.

Now dooking - that is TOTALLY different.  They even have me doing it now!

Luv Susan