From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:17:47 -0400
A wonderful vet write-up on rectal prolapse in ferrets and how to treat
and prevent it:

http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-health/prolapse.aspx

That hits close to home right now because Telemna decided to get overly
enthusiastic about wiping herself on a carpet recently and inflamed and
tugged hers out in a minor way (and now i know that is probably more
proctitis than prolapse). Luckily, the cortizone cream and Prep H trick
that Dr. Bruce Williams talks about in the separate FHL Archives worked
wonderfully and we are now heros to her. I learned a good bit from Dr.
Gandolfi's article, including about Lawsonia which I didn't know about.

On veterinarians becoming more ferret-savvy:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-health/bridging-the-gap.aspx>
Related:
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-health/ecm-board-certification.aspx>
http://www.aemv.org/
http://www.vin.com/

Ferret laws can sometimes cause problems getting vet care. Luckily,
usually (always?) vets are not prevented from treating (which would
amount to imposed animal abuse) but these could help (esp. since some
commonly used resources are no longer valid -- and there have been
problems when people had old Geocities pages with being unable to
update them or extinguish them):

<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-housing/ferret-owners-and-animal-law.aspx>
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets/ferret-housing/ferret-owners-and-animal-law-moving.aspx>

Related (and more are in the article):
http://www.animallaw.info/
http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/
http://www.municode.com/Resources/OnlineLibrary.asp

On that score, when traveling with ferrets always take along lists of
vets in places where you will be. A great place to start is
http://ferrethealth.org/vets/
If your ferrets stay home always leave a "permission to treat" letter
with your vet and your pet sitter. Many people use vet techs or ferret
shelter operators as pet sitters. (And keep your private info like when
you will be away private so that you lower the risk of a break-in. Your
police safety officer can provide free Neighborhood watch and McGuff
materials to help improve safety, too.)

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: