From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2010 14:03:37 -0400
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_048_2010_Release/index.asp

This one affects not only institutional locations but also retail
(grocery). When it has been traced down enough the retail distribution
list will appear in
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FSIS_Recalls/Open_Federal_Cases/index.asp
but currently the notice in the article reads Arizona, California,
Texas, Oregon and internationally.

Cooking to a high enough temperature of 160'F internally does kill E.
coli (which stands for Escherichia coli) but according to some past
articles I have read some shiga toxin that was already created before
the E. coli was cooked with the beef can remain so with beef that
contains a shiga toxin producing strain of E. coli it pays to not even
eat it cooked well because even though it can be safer it might not be
safe enough. If that has changed then that is good, but, honestly, the
only way I'd chance it would be if I were starving. (I'm not a horribly
unadventurous person; I lived in the Amazon Basin jungles of Suriname
helping with a study about 31 years ago, prospected for fossils in the
Badlands before that, and worked with a range of apes, monkeys and
prosimians as well as other animals. What I don't like are stupid
risks. The risk has to be worth the possible result, and personally I
think that going from food poisoning IF it is known about to be avoided
just is not worth it though others may and probably will disagree.)

This is what E. coli WITHOUT shiga toxin can do:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/diarrecoli_t.htm
With shiga toxin there can also be hemorrhagic diarrhea (bloody
diarrhea), the break down of red blood cells, and kidney failure.
This one is a killer in ferrets as well as humans.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html