Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:37:38 +1100
Hello fellow ferret slaves,

I have a question about bone infections that I haven`t seen asked or dealt
with before.My Benny,a dark chocolate sable boy whose age is unknown,
wandered off one night due to a door being left open unknowingly,3
heartbreaking days later I found him across the road in a house that has
dogs.Well I honestly didn`t think he would last the night.He was attacked
the first night he was gone so he was a mess and in pain for 3 days till I
got him back.The people were pretty good and they did try to find his home
but they had no idea how bad he really was.They thought he was just badly
bruised but when I rang the emergency vet that night and brought him in the
vet said another day and he would`ve been gone.She took him home after
treating his immediate injuries and in the morning done x-rays and tests.A
very badly fractured left pelvis,deep puncture wounds to lower back and
extensive bruising on his whole body,even his little tongue was badly
bruised.To cut a long story short,after 2 weeks of intensive care and
confinement,he was almost back to normal.But one of the puncture wounds on
his back would not heal,it became infected and this was when the vet
discovered that his pelvic bone had come through his skin and was sticking
out a little bit.Not really a problem for he was walking with a slight limp
but the skin wouldn`t cover the bone in the healing process and the one
thing we were all worried about happened.Bone infection (there is a medical
name something like osteosomething or rather).He has been on Antirobe
Aquadrops,a pretty strong antibiotic,for about 5 weeks,11mls twice a day but
it hasn`t cleared the infection so the vet said another 4-6 weeks on this
stuff and we`ll take it from there.

Question:Does anyone know anything or had experience with bone infections?Is
it a really bad thing for a fert to get?He is a happy dooking dancing
nipping little baby boy,eating well and it doesn`t seem to worry him at all
except when it`s medicine time then it`s yyukk mum not again.He walks
without a limp now and chases all my other babies and vice versa.But I still
worry `cause there is a continuous scab that heals and falls of and then the
whole process starts again,but until this thing is gone the vet can`t
operate to cover the bone.Sorry this was so long but like everyone on this
list,we will do anything and everything for our beloved little fuzzies.

BTW : HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL and may all your problems be little ones this year.

Thank you BIG for being you and being there for everyone.

Lola and the Fabulous Five Fuzzbutts.(still cry for my Phoebe,miss you baby)