From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 11:36:28 -0500
The other day, my friend brought his kitten over for me to sit for a while.
With the kitten came a couple of toys -one catnip toy and one wind-up
hopping toy that makes a clattering noise.  "Perfect for the ferrets," i
thought, and wound it up, took it to Noodle, and let it go.

Now, there's caching behavior and then there's caching behavior.  For
example, a cheweasel that's out in the middle of the room gets picked up and
dashed around from hidey-hole to hidey-hole as though the ferrets were
looking for the safest place to stash it.  "Nope, not good enough..nope, not
here either." Then there's the stuffed animal in the middle of the room -
OBVIOUSLY out of place, so it gets picked up and stashed with an air of
"How'd that get there?  That belongs over here!"

And then there's the attitude the ferrets showed when they first saw the
hoppy toy.  No war dancing, dooking, or excitement - they just looked
outright stupefied.  And then, as a one, they all lunged for it and
attempted to drag it straight under the couch with a very serious intent.
Whatever this thing was (and believe them, they were going to chew it up in
order to find out), it was MUCH TOO DANGEROUS to sit out in the open like
that.  I, of course, was laughing too hard to stop them (I recovered it
later).  They were even doing a tug-of-war with it.  CLEARLY there are prize
possessions that are unparalleled by any other.  :)

Melissa

 __ Melissa Litwicki ____ [log in to unmask] __
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters