From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1993 00:34:04 -0400
In issue 480, Nancy Hartman (Hi Nancy!, long time no speak) comments about
ivermectin:

> ...So why use a toxic drug when you can just, basically, drown the suckers
> just as effectively?

Good point.  I guess I feel that the ease of use is less stress for the
ferret in the long run... ferrets do *not* enjoy sloshy ears.  And yes,
the drug is toxic, but at the recomended doses, there are no side effects
that I know of.  Ferrets often get much higher doses of ivermectin for
heartworm prevention and suffer no ill effects from that either.  Let's face
it, most medicines are toxic in sufficient quantity.

>Since it doesn't kill the eggs you have to use several doses.

Right. Two doses - an initial dose and one 10 days later.

> ...them.  Ivermectine shots could get expensive.

Just for reference, I pay $1.50 a shot, syringe and all.  Vet just leaves em
for me if I call.

>This isn't an issue that I've heard a lot of strong feelings
>about, this is just my personal opinion.

I can live with that :-)  I'm not about to try to convince the world that
ivermectin is God's gift to ferrets... just wanted to balance out some of
the bad press it's gotten.

Bill