From:
CHUCK PULLIAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:23:15 -0700
poops large quantities compared to food intake: I have not experienced this
with my ferrets, but recently with our dog.  Her "output" was about 4-5
times of what he ate on a daily basis.  After some other (more serious)
symptoms also appeared and many, many vet bills later, we were told that we
should have brought her in when we noticed the large quantities of poop for
a small dog.  The huge poops were caused by an ALLERGY to ingredients in her
food.

I would encourage you to suspect every ingredient until it is eliminated.
Sara's allergies were numerous, but included beef, corn, etc., etc.  Now
that she is on a lamb/potato diet, her poops (and other problems such as
excessive paw licking and dry, flaky skin, and septic skin infections) have
improved immensely.  I read the following on the FML recently, but will
reiterate because it is important, it takes TIME and REPEATED EXPOSURE to
develop an allergy to something, so don't assume that because the animal has
eaten this food all along with no problems that an allergy cannot develop.

There are veterinary allergists who specialize in these problems.  If you
don't find an immediate improvement after changing foods, I would encourage
you to seek a medical opinion, as these allergies progress if exposure to
the source of the allergy does not stop.

Good Luck!!

Jacquie Rodgers
Loki & Morgan (furrkids), and Sara the dog