From:
"Williams, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:18:03 -0500
Dear Carla:
>Circumstances such as my own, where a number of animals were present and
>frequently came through animal control, might be at a slightly higher
>risk of CDV but even then he thought it minimal if proper quarantine were
>observed.

Unfortunately, the persons who turn animals into animal control, or turn
them loose, are also the type who rarely vaccinate.  Then animals are taken
to animal control, where they are exposed to dogs of similarly questionable
vaccination.  Animal control, after pet stores, probably accounts for the
second largest totals of distemper cases.  Most shelters see distemper on a
regular basis - animals that are identified are routinely euthanized, but
it may be days before an animal shows signs in the shelter.

Proper quarantine would be the latency period for distemper in ferrets.
The latncy period for distemper in ferrets is 12-45 days, so you would
need to quarantine for 45 days.

>In discussing this with him, he said he'd be interested in knowing some
>actual numbers:
>1. How many ferrets have actually developed CDV, where the diagnosis was
>   certain?  Over what period of time did this happen?
>2. In how many of those cases was the method of exposure known for sure?
>   i.e. direct contact with another animal, through contaminated feces, or
>   indirectly through contact with contaminated ground, caging or clothing?

He should know better than to ask these types of questions - this sounds
like a smokescreen.  Distemper is not a reportable disease in animals, so
no agency keeps track of this data.  I can tell you that I have diagnosed
twelve cases in the last six years - each was from a separate outbreak,
and I only need one animal who either dies or is euthanized to make the
diagnosis.  Each facility then generally euthanizes all affected
individuals - some as many as twleve to fifteen, usually.  I only see the
one, and once the diagnosis is made - the practitioner and the shelter
operator or owner takes over and takes corrective action.

I'm sure only a small percentage of cases even get to me - many are
diagnosed on characteristic clinical signs, or any of the 50 state
veterinary labs or 22 veterinary schools, or other private labs in the
country.

The information on how animals contracted the disease is rarely known.
I know that some of my cases came from pet stores, so it is likely they
picked it up there from a puppy.  Most came from shelters - did they come
in with it, or pick it up there?  Who knows this data.

Not vaccinating for distemper is a bad idea - there's no way around it.
Shelters that aren't quarantining animals and vaccinating for distemper
should be closed - you are our first line of defense for distemper.  You
will identify and stop outbreaks at the source.  If you fall down in this
mission, innocent lives are lost, and families who adopt from you are put
at risk.

For vets who are advocating not vaccinating animals for distemper - this
is a practice that will eventually catch up with you.  As vets, we are
obligated to present the best health care treatment for our patients,
and leave the option to the owner.  Advocating against vaccination for
distemper is a serious flaw in judgment, and will eventually cost you a
client, and more importantly, some ferret its life.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams,d VM