From:
Diana Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 08:52:37 -0800
I just want to cry.  On Saturday morning I went to our local animal shelter
to check the health and ststus of a light sable male that was picked up and
was featured as the Pet of The Week.  He is an older boy and could use a
little fattening up but otherwise is in good health.  While there I noticed
another male ferret in the next cage that was picked up the day before as a
stray.  He was on the thin side and about 2 years old judging from his
teeth condition.  He had cataracts in both eyes and was bald on the tail
and had thinning fur.  I knew that he would not find a home and checked
on when I could pick him up.  He was to be released from stray ststus this
morning.  Now normally animal control here in Fairbanks calls me before
they put one down so I can pick them up if I have room.  I called this
morning just to make sure and to make arrangments to pick him up and I was
told that he had been put down.  I was heart sick and they were very sorry
for the over sight.  This little nameless one had obviously not been to
healthy and was a dark eyed white.  With the cataracts in his eyes they
almost looked light blue.  I held him only for a minute on Saturday but
felt he needed love.  Maybe it was just my overly tender heart for homeless
children of fur, (I think they all of them need to be loved or else they
would not be where they are.) I knew that I would probably have him till
he died, but that was fine.  With 7 ferrets already needing surgery for
adrenal and or insulinoma I did not need another vet bill but I was not
going to let him die.  Somehow I would have found a way and would have
added him to my list for surgery.  He would have been bumped up because
of the male adrenal thing so that would have moved one of my females down,
but my male adrenals take priority.

Anyways, take a minute and hug all your little ones for him and thank God
that they are not where he has been and that he is in a better place.
Maybe Peek A Boo and Bandit can be coaxes away from the All you can eat
Raisin Bar to welcome this little man home.

Sandee, feel free to give him a fitting name.

Diana and The Ferret Farm