From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 11:16:20 -0500
zen states:

>Sounded like one to me.  You accused him of causing problems for ferrets and
>contributing to the homeless ferret population.  Larry has NOT abandoned his
>ferrets.  Unless he does he has no effect on the shelter population.

My point of contention is with the RETAIL OPERATIONS "PET SHOPS" not with
the responsible folks ( and many retail purchasers are not) who promote a
"pet ferret in every pocket".  Ferrets are now becoming saturated across
this country from pet shop sales and promotions-- the supply and demand
theory-- quite quickly in the pads few years we have seen manageable ferret
conditions for shelters become overcrowded and overpopulated.  And yes, I
have read your views on this issue repeatedly.

 and zen stated:
>You accused him of causing problems for ferrets and contributing to the
>homeless ferret population.

No I did not accuse, those are YOUR words.  I stated, a different
perspective altogether.

And my feelings remain whether you or others agree that as long as ferrets
are PURCHASED form pets stores, whether as personal pets or as rescue
purposes the pet store industry will keep supplying the ferrets, they will
not reduce or eliminate selling them.  So.... that means more ferrets will
find their ways into short term homes for whatever reason, then IF they are
lucky into shelter facilities, and if not abandoned to freeze to death in a
cold park in the winter.  Now why don't you understand my fury over the
merchandising of living creatures?

It would seem that Mr. Tilford was not completely honest in reporting his
incensed ire over screening as no one has any prescreening information
submitted.  On to other issues, I bid you a good day.

Alicia
a shelter  MOM