From:
Linda Gaylord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 07:39:01 -0400
The Sierra Club position on ferrets in CA would be laughable if not so
potentially damaging to the efforts at legalization.  "Sensitive ecosystem"
my fanny pack!  We live in Northern CA between 4 refineries.  In the last 3
monthd there have been explosions, toxic leaks, fires, and a train
derailment of hazardous waste.  Just saw a "special report" about crabs in
the Bay and Delta destroying native fish and levees.  Wild pigs are a real
problem in Marin county.  And here's the Sierra Club having a fit over
ferrets and their "possible" impact should they escape and set up a feral
population!  I regret to say we've sent donations to them in the past.  Do
you suppose they would refund them?

On a lighter note, we recently got a Basset puppy, which brings the canine
portion of our menagerie back up to 5.  Our female fuzz terror, Phoebe, has
pretty well ruled supreme, harrassing and tormenting the dogs and chasing
the cats.  She tried to whip the puppy into submission, but got nowhere.
The puppy chases HER from one end of the house to the other, eats her stash
of dog food, and gives her big, slobbery kisses, which leave her wet from
head to tail.  If she manages to "escape" from the puppy, she circles back
around and dances in front of her until she's noticed, then runs off again.
They were playing hide and seek under the file cabinet when Phoebe grabbed
the puppy by the lip.  From the cries I thought the puppy was being killed!
But when I detached Phoebe, she hadn't even broken the skin.  So she's being
extra careful with the "baby".  Everyone else gets punctured.

Hope this time next week finds Kodo back safe and sound with his family.

Linda