Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:58:05 -0400
>Deba, I don't think you read Dani's post in the same light I did.  I live
>in Canada (the North) and I found it pretty funny.  I am a single person,
>living alone, in a two bedroom apartment with 5 ferts and two cats.  When
>I found out that the fuzzies could die from heat, the EASIEST solution for
>me was to buy and A/C.

I've got to agree with both of you.  I've lived in the south and the
north, and the heat in both places can be deadly.  I bought a window air
conditioner (since my home is over 100 years old, and has not been
retrofitted for central air ...), and I definitely *use it* in the summer.
Actually, what I usually do is run it during the day, having first closed
off all of the rooms which have no occupants, and therefore do not need to
be cooled.

This way, I wind up cooling down just two of my rooms, which is far more
economical than cooling the whole house.  I put my pets' cages right near
the AC unit for maximum effect, and I let it run until I return home in the
evening.  At night, I throw the windows back open, and use fans to
circulate the cool night air.  Works for me .. and my electrical bill never
goes above $40 a month .. even in the summer!

- Ela