Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 08:37:53 -0000
I'll make this short since it is somewhat off-topic.  I have had several
"conversations" with Janne' about the FP/monopolization topic, and, while I
got the impression that she knew a lot more about it than she'd admit, I
realized that FP's (alleged) actions may not seem like a big deal to most
people.  So, I thought I'd explain why there may be cause for concern.

I'm a law student graduating in May (please don't hold it against me!) and
am currently taking a class on monopolies & unfair competition; the Sherman
Act reads:

  "Section 2: Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize,
  or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize
  any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with
  foreign nations, whall be deemed guilty of a felony..."

This is a federal law, not a state or local rule.  As such, it supercedes
any state or local rules, to the extent that those laws are inconsistent
with it.  It also applies to *every* business that engages in interstate
commerce; Fancy Publications clearly does so.

I hope this helps to explain some of our concern.  If anyone is interested
in discussing this further, please email me off-list.

Melissa