From:
Susan Brown DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 1994 11:58:08 -0400
Re: Alky and urinary infection

We have gotten a variety of bacteria out of bladder and urine cultures.  The
most common in our practice is Staph species.  We have also seen E. coli,
Proteus and Pseudomonas.  A culture is the only way to know for sure.  We
have good luck treating with either Amoxicillin or one of the cephalosporins.
 We haven't used as much Baytril alone in ferrets, but the combination of
Baytril and Amoxicillin has been used with good effect in animals with
overwhelming bacterial infections (septicemias), which you do not have in
this case.
Blood tests will not completely rule out the possibility of upper urinary
tract infection, but we see far less kidney infections than bladder
infections.  We do see kidney disease in older ferrets, but it is, as best we
can tell, not primarily associated with infection.
Continue doing the urinalysis and treat her as you are.
Good Luck
Susan Brown, D.V.M.

Re:  Mike Medved and the young ferret who is "down"

Young ferrets or any other animal for that matter can have a few "down" days
here and there, but if there is a dramatic personality change, and it
persists for more than 3 or 4 days (assuming she is still eating, passing
normal stool and urine and relatively active) then I would have some
laboratory tests run.  In particular in a young ferret I would have a
complete blood cell count done, to check for infections or the possibility of
other disease such as lymphoma.  Your vet will determine what other tests to
run.  Lethargy can be seen with early gastric (stomach) foreign bodies also.
Watch her closely, she may pop back to normal in a day or two....but if
not.....go back for a check and possibly some testing.
Good Luck
Susan Brown, D.V.M.