From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:11:29 -0500
Sorry about the poor editing in the last post; I've been recovering from the
car crunch and had Elizabeth post it for me.  It was sort of a comedy of
errors regarding it posting; I think it was lucky to have made it at all.
Also, I have answered very little mail in the last few days because of
server outages (security upgrades), a moderate crash-related headache, and
just plain drowsiness from the muscle relaxants.  I plan on answering all
tomorrow.  BTW, I was told that some of my mail was "lost" in the system (I
think what they really mean was they accidentally deleted it) so if I didn't
respond to your letter, just re-send it.

I was planning on leaving tomorrow for NY, but the rental car given to me
was *not* acceptable.  I'll get a different one late Tuesday and will leave
for NY on July 23.  Besides, it gives me another day to recuperate.  Not
that I need it being the man of steel and all.

With almost 100 people responding to Elizabeth and my rumor problems, it is
impractical for us to answer each one, as much as we would love to.  So here
is a public "Thanks" for all of you.  It really made Elizabeth feel good,
and now she is watching me and taking notes.  Grand.  Seriously, thank you
to all of you.

Here is a question about something I don't know about (While unlikely, it is
possible from time to time).  I was asked about the use of Selegiline
(L-deprenyl HCl/Anipryl) in ferrets to combat adrenal tumors.  I've heard of
it being used in certain human nervous system disorders, but never with
ferrets or with adrenal disease.  Anyone have any knowledge or experience,
including dosages?

Speaking of adrenal disease, an update on Sandy for my Oregon friends.
Sandy is an albino non-Marshall Farms late neuter; I think she is about 4-5
years old, but not sure.  She has a rapidly advancing adrenal disease that
didn't respond to steroid treatment.  A surgery was rescheduled because of a
slight infection in her urinary/reproductive system.  The infection is gone
and she is rescheduled for surgery the beginning of next month.  Once a
terrible biter and loner, she now plays with most of the other ferrets (if
not cranky) and no longer bites.  Elizabeth has unoffically adopted her and
gives her special time almost every day.

She is *so* very sweet, and licks the inside of my elbow for extended
periods of time, with only the gentlest ocassional chomp.  (For those on the
rumor watch, I am speaking of Sandy, silly).  She dances all over the living
room, and loves to attack pingpong balls.  She adores paper grocery sacks,
and loves to sleep inside things with just the tip of her nose sticking out.
She fusses louder than any of my other ferrets--I swear it is in the 120
decibil range--even when she is chasing someone away at top speed.  She
adores chicken and steak, but absolutely covets dried fish jerky.  I've
never seen her miss the box, although I've seen her dragged out of the box
while she was using it.  All in all, a great carpet shark.

I tell you this because I want everyone to know adopted ferrets are just as
"good" and just as "enjoyable" as any ferret you can ever buy from a
breeder.  While some come with a set of built-in problems, at least you know
what they are and can plan for them, and most are insignificant given time
and love.  I wouldn't hesitate a second to adopt a sick or dying ferret,
even though their loss can hurt my heart, and the honest reason is, the
little guys always seem to give more than they take.  The little beasties
bring joy to my life.  If I own one for a day, a year, or a decade, I have
been blessed by their presence.

I'll say one other time I'm sure can be echoed by many FMLers.  My most
"loyal" lap ferrets where late-age adoptions.  About a third of my ferts
were raised from kits; all the rest of the 17 are late-age adoptions, and I
can honestly say I have found no correlation between time of arrival in my
home, and loyalty or lap-setting.  What makes ferrets lap setters is a lot
of handling and time (and personality/temperment); not procurement
background.

You really want to make changes at Marshall Farms?  Adopt a ferret instead
of buying a baby kit, take a picture of the adoptee, and send the picture
with a note to MF, stating you will no longer buy MF kits unless changes are
made, and will only adopt until then.  Add a few lines about encouraging
your friends to do the same thing, and include a flyer suggesting the same
thing that you have been distributing to vets and other places of pet
interest.

If only a few of you do it, they will think you are crazy and will ignore
you.  If a moderate amount of you do it, they will think its a new-age
sensitive person thing, and will still ignore you.  But if thousands of you
do it; can you imagine thousands of people sending in pictures of adopted
ferrets along with a promise of never buying MF stuff or kits again?  They
would think it was a movement, and friends, it would be: the Ferret Mailing
List Anti-Marshall Farms Movement, and all you have to do to join is adopt a
ferret and send in its picture.

Bob C and the Mad As Hell Missouri Sofa Monkeys (with apology to Arlo)