From:
Aaron Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:12:11 -0600
Hello hello.  I am new this time to the FML (Was on it a bit about a year
ago, but had to give it up due to lack of internet access).

Anyway, about a year and a half ago I adopted two fully grown Ferts and
have had much fun with them since.  Yesterday was the first time I have
ever had any medical probs with them.  A couple of days ago I noticed Loki
(Does everyone have a ferret named Loki ???) having problems doing his
ferret duty.  After a full day of this I gave him a couple licks of milk
and a laxative.  The next day he was still doing it and whimpering to boot.
He is usually the hyperactive one, but wouldn't even explore.  The moanings
became louder and I took him to the vet.  The vet told me his bladder was
swollen and needed to be drained.  I left him with the vet and waited to
hear from him.  He phoned me later telling me that an ENORMOUS amount of
puss and urine was drained, and that (lucally) the cathedir went in no
prob.  If he can urinate this morning, doc wants to send him home with
antibiotics for a couple weeks and see how he does, but seems to think
its going to come down to the adrenal glands.

I read up on all of the Ferret FAQ's and the medical ones.  I think I'm
going to go get a closer look at the adrenal one now.  I've never gone
through this before, and I know alot of others have.  I guess I was just
looking for someone to tell me its no big deal, and he'll be okay.  Any
tips on how to make his life a little easier over the coming time would
be appreciated.

Sorry about the long post :(
Aaron

PS.  Just added a baby to our troop.  And I thought adult ferrets had
energy... yikes.