From:
"Cindy C. Sooy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 20:15:07 -0800
I have a question for the vets and breeders on the list; or anyone who has
had experience with cardiomyopathy in ferrets for that matter.  In Oct.  I
lost my hob, Axel, when he had a heart attack during surgery.  His father
and half brother have both been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy since his
death.  I have Axel's granddaughter, Peanut, and his great grandson, Lionel.
A friend of mine has his grandson, Freight Train.  Freight Train and Peanut
have been used for breeding and I would like to use Lionel, but we were
wondering what the heritability for cardiomyopathy in ferrets is.  Peanut
recently had a litter and my vet said that I shouldn't worry about the kits
having heart problems that they are probably far enough down the line to be
safe.  But she also mentioned that not a lot is know about the heritability
of cardiomyopathy.  All three of these ferrets have exceptional conformation
and temperment and I would like to continue breeding them but I am worried
about passing on the disease.  I have also heard that it seems to strike the
males more than the females.  I would appreciate all information on
heritability that anyone can give me.  I would like to hear from anyone else
who has had ferrets with this disease and whether or not it is passed on to
the kits and how often.  Thanks!

Cindy