From:
Kent Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 22:51:01 -0400
Hello again!

First, thanks again to those of you that responded to me about this issue.

I wrote the other day about my 19 month female ferret who has a balding spot
on her back near her shoulders.  I have an idea and I would appreciate your
thoughts on this.

Within the last month I moved into a new house here in Denver, CO.  However,
where I lived previously was the only home Gidget knew.  The old house was a
lot darker than the knew one.  I am wondering if the change in enviroment
may have a roll in this.  If the move has stressed her out perhaps she would
have lost some hair as a result.

The bald spot doesn't seem to be changing over the past few weeks.  I am of
course concerned about adrenal disease, but the pattern of hair loss is not
consistant with what I've been reading.  Also, her age (19 months) is not
consistant with what I've read about adrenal disease.  Her vulva is not
swollen and no discharge is noticed.

I've received two possible theories.  One FML friend suggested that fleas
may be a possibility.  I don't have much experience with fleas in Denver,
Co.  The climate is cold enough to keep them away.  I don't detect any rash
nor do I notice her itching excessively.  I've looked in her ears and
examined her skin to see if I could see any insects, but I don't see
anything.

The other possibility is perhaps lighting.  As I mentioned I recently moved.
The old house was very dark.  Possibly the enviromental change caused the
bald spot.

I will keep a concerned eye on her and take her to a more qualified vet than
the last one I took her to.  If any one out there knows of a vet in the
Denver area please let me know.  I am finding it difficult to find vets that
have any expertise on ferrets.

At any rate, if anyone has any further ideas on this subject please let me
know.  Again thank you for your thoughts and information about adrenal
disease.

Sincerely,

Kent