From:
Norma-ann Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 14:22:05 -0400
Okay folks.  Since i've been reassured that the Vet. was mistaken when he
said that the Imrab 3 vaccine has not been tested on ferrets...i thought
that he may have been wrong about the policy regarding ferrets and
bite/rabies laws, as well.  Sooo, i've been making a few phone calls.

I started out by calling my local humane society.  They told me what they
thought the rule was, but gave me the number of the Health Department so
that i could double check.  I called them and they told me what their info.
was, but gave me the number of Dr. Chuck LeBer, at the Ministry of Health,
so that i could triple check.  Dr. LeBer, they told me, is the man in charge
of making the rabies policies.

Everyone was in agreement that if a vaccinated ferret bites a person it
should be reported to the Health Department and, then, an in-home
observation period of about one month will *most likely* follow.

Dr. Leber said that it %used% to be the policy that the ferret would be
killed and tested, but that was because they didn't know anything about
ferrets.  He said that they now recognize our little fuzz-butts as domestic
animals; however, they still don't know a lot about them (shedding studies,
etc.) so they are going by the guidelines for wild/exotic animals and
enforcing the 30 day quarantine period.  He said, "Now...I know they aren't
wild!  We are just using the %guidelines% for wild animals because we feel
that is safest".  He said that if the animal is rabid...it should die within
30 days.  Dogs are quarantined for 10 days.

This all sounds quite a bit better, doesn't it?

But, don't get too cocky!  You still need to be a little cautious.  Dr.
Leber said that if the ferret just runs across the room and bites someone
for no apparant reason, they would consider that reason to suspect rabies
and have the animal killed and tested.  I said, "Ohhh.  That worries me.
Ferrets are very playful animals and they do that sort of thing all the
time--run across a room and nip at someone to get them to play".  He said,
"Well, yes, if the person is playing with the ferret, then we would consider
the bite to be provoked (but in a nice way)...and then we would enforce the
quarantine period".

So, it sounds a little more sketchy than i would like it, but it was better
than what i heard from the Doc. on Monday!

Dr. Leber is going to write a little something on this for me to put in the
next edition of the newsletter but, other than that, there is no "official
statement" you can get.  If you would like to contact him, yourself, i can
give you his phone number***e-me, privately, for that, please.

And before you say anything---i will be discussing all of this with my Vet.
I have also contacted Rhone Merieux, and Dr. Rupprecht at the CDC, and i
will pass on whatever info.  they can give me, as well.  I just need to get
off the phone/computer so these people (and the doctor) can reach me!!!

Take care everyone...and sorry to have scared the wits out of you (if i did)
Better safe, than sorry...right?

--Norma-ann
  President of SOFA
  and Mom to Molly, Leo, and Maggie
  Step-Mom to Oedie and Beckett.

p.s. While talking to the Shelter folks, they told me that they do get
ferrets in now and then and, before they are adopted out, they get neutered
and shots. Price is $99.12 (same as cats). They have none in now, but will
be calling me to help with nail clipping/ear cleaning/socialization when
they do...if you are looking for a new pal from the Guelph area...let me
know, and i'll keep you posted.