From:
Joy Kerin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:13:52 -0500
To Mo Duinne: I'm at home so I do not have Jen Hudson's post in front of
me, but I do not believe that in that post she was talking to anyone
inparticular.  I believe she was just simply stating that it's a shame that
there is so much more interest in baby ferrets compared to older ferrets.
I don't believe that anyone can deny this.  Talk to any shelter, the babies
are the first to go.  Yes there are people that go out of their way to get
an older or special needs ferret because they know the rewards of doing
this, but obviously this is the exception, not the rule.

To Jen's request of silly things ... When I was a single ferret mom
(imagine that) I just couldn't leave Nala a home when I didn't have to,
after all she would be alone.  I started taking her everywhere.  She was
very good about it too ... I would either take her in a carrier (which
most people seemed not even to notice) or she would sleep in my shirt.  She
seemed to know when it was time to take a nap (when we were trying not to
be noticed).  Of course I always had a litter box in the car and carried
food, water and treats with me.

First, I have to tell you what Nala got a bunch of grown men, police
officer's to boot to do.  We were at an after work meeting and before it
got started, you know guys were interested in her and asking questions,
well she climbed up on one guys shoulder.  He put his arm out and she ran
across it, so he placed his hand on another guys shoulder, he inturn put
his arm on another guys shoulder, in seconds there was about 10 guys
standing, arms extended to the next guy's shoulder, forming a circle so
that Nala could keep on running.  It was pretty funny to see.

Second, my embarrassing moment ... Once while Nala was sleeping down my
shirt I was in the gift section of Cracker Barrell.  My mom was checking
out, I was standing behind her with an obvious lump in my stomach.  I
turned around to see two very serious Cracker Barrell people looking at my
stomach and then asking me "can we help you with something".  I said no
thank you, and thought what a dumb question, we were checking out, why
would we need help now.  Then it hit me, I about died, I said "mom, mom".
My mom was like "loouud" and said "what's wrong".  With my teeth locked
together and barely moving my mouth I said "the two behind me think Nala
is something I stole.  I had to go over the choices very quickly, show
them I have a ferret in their store or let them think what they wanted to.
Knowing that if they had a real problem with me that they would find out
about Nala which is obviously better than shop lifting.  It seemed like
eternity until she got done checking out.  As we moved to the door my mom
said "their following us", I was saying "s#*t, s#!t, s%#t.  We walked out
the door to the car and they stood on the porch of Cracker Barrell with
their hands on their hips watching us.  Then I just couldn't let them think
that I stole something, I don't know why because it's not even a restaraunt
close to me, I rarely go there, maybe twice a year, they probably would
never see me again, right?  Before I got into the car I disturbed Nala's
sleep and pulled her out of my shirt.  They still just stood there.  I
don't really know why they didn't do something if they thought I was
stealing.  I know they could have never imagined I had a ferret in my
shirt, she was out, she never moved.

Joy Kerin

Nala, Meeko, Abu, Quasimodo, Pongo, Pooh Bear, Minnie, Tookie, Daisy,
Gurgi, Buzz, Woody, Tinkerbell, Tito and Disney (the dog).

Sadly Missed - Ariel, Baloo, Zima Belle, Hera & Butterscotch Bo Peep, Zues,
Mushu & Pupper (the dog).