From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 03:13:56 +0800
First of all - thanks to BIG and all the fine folks that have sent me
wonderful messages on this subject.

>From:    Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
>You still haven't answered my question.

That is because BIG posted an old submission from me - it was being held
up.  so no - I didn't answer ANY of your questions.

>What happens if someone who bought a ferret from you has to give it up?
>Or is that just the problem of whatever shelter takes it in?

They are returned to my family (ferret folks themselves) and they will keep
them - or make further arrangements.  It is no way the responsibility of
another shelter.  That is why when I was transferred I didn't dump my
ferrets on a shelter (one shelter took in 2 that I could not place - the
shelter mum there knows who she is and I am truly grateful).  They are my
responsibility.

>How about responsible breeding?  Breeders who do not agree to take back
>any ferret who's life they have created are no better than the
>institutional wholesale breeders.

Exactly my beliefs.  Again - my family has willingly made arrangements to
take any ferrets that may need to be given back.  If I could - I would have
taken them with me (and ship any to me that need to come to me), but
Australia does not allow any imports - and hasn't since the early 1900's.

>Not all shelters breed.  Many use adoption fees, turn-in fees,
>raffles/sale of items, and their own money to pay the bills.  Most shelters
>never ask for funds on the FML, except to be listed on the SOS list.

Right - most shelters do not breed.  But many breeders shelter.  I feel you
can't breed without sheltering.  This is just my opinion.  We never charged
a turn in fee as most of our ferrets taken in were going to be dumped on
the HS or Animal Control - which is free to turn in.  Our placement fees
were reasonable and the only outside money we got was from a "game" we had
at a few shows.  We were on the SOS list (and currently are).  And I never
asked for the bill to be paid - I only asked to be thought of when folks
were donating.

(from issue 2924)
>From:    Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
>While I strongly urge people to send donations to the shelter of their
>choice, I would equally strongly discourage bailing out a breeder who
>left a vet bill when they left the country.

Apparently you were not aware that I also ran a shelter.  Well, I did, and
the outstanding bill was on that account - under Weasel Watcher Ferret
Rescue.  You can ring my vet for verification.

>She has already contacted several breeders about buying new breeding stock
>from her.

Really?  I made a post to a breeding list stating that I was expecting some
ferrets.  I also stated that I could ship to the US - as do other breeders
not in the US - and to watch for my kits.  Not a "hey - send me your names,
get on my list, etc".  Just that I was excited about them and to watch for
them.

>pay her existing vet bills, instead of running a beg-a-thon on the FML.

Again - I didn't beg - I asked to be thought of.  I am sure if BIG thought
it was not called for her would not have posted it.

>From:    dcferret <[log in to unmask]>
>if you had an outstanding balance and then had $60 in your pocket, you use
>that $60 to put toward the balance that you owe.  I see that I have been
>doing it all wrong.  You are supposed to put out a plea for help and have
>others pay the ENTIRE balance for you, so that you can spend your $60
>buying some more because they are cheap.  I was always taught that you
>only purchased more (no matter the cost) after you paid for the first one.

Apparently you missed that fact that the ferrets I got were GIVEN to me.
Meaning I didn't PAY for them.  And - yes I have been making payments.
Although with currency exchange, mail, etc, it make it difficult.

>From:    feretrus <[log in to unmask]>

>I am just posting to expess my opinion.  I had e-mailed Amy when this
>originally happened and she did e-mail me back kindly.

Opinion respected.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
Perth, Western Australia