From:
Dan Kinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 15:11:39 -0400
Hey there ferret folk. A few weeks ago I posted my intention to backpack
with the fuzzies. I ended up not straight backpacking - just went hiking
from a base camp up on Beartown Mountain in Mass.
It was great! I took a suggestion from one of the people kind enough to
give me hints from the post and took along a ferret pack - a bookbag with
peep holes for the kids. Just having them along enriched a routine hike
into a new dimension.
I think I would not do any full fledged hiking with Boofer and Bert. There
are too many natural perils out there and in the outback you really need
your brain just to keep yourself on track. But for day hiking having the
fuzzies is just wonderful.
Tips: make damn sure you have a very secure leash for your guys. I'm sure I
needn't explain why. My guys like trail food - granola, etc - so it's fun
to be on the same rations.
Finally, camp by the water if you can. The sight of Boofer standing down
250 ducks at dawn for a banana peel was amazing!
Please let me know of any ferret/camping stoies you have. Thanks, and
listen for the loon--
  Dan, Boofer, Bert, and a cast of thousands