From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 05:04:58 -0800
Jennifer,

I sometimes let the cage sit empty for a while until I can stand to
dismantle it or take out the hammys. I smell them like you do. I also
take out all things from circulation that remind me of the ferret that
passed away, and put them in a Tupperware tote, so I can open it later
when I am missing them and cry over seeing their things, and hug them
and smell them (even though by then the smell is gone). I take their
favorite toy or toys, and also put them up too, on a shelf so that I
remember them, and their favorite thing, and why it was their favorite.
It isn't the prettiest display in the world, and it has gotten pretty
damn big in the last few years. But the ugly tennis ball, leather
collar, and various kongs, football toys and other random items, even
a dish I used to give medicine in every day - these are all up for
display in my ferret room, a sort of shrine I guess. I also have a
Cookie Monster doll that my Okojyo used to play with, and I got to bed
with it every night. Am I nuts? Prolly. But I am still grieving over
her. When a few of my ferrets passed away I used some polymer clay and
made a footprint, and for months I would wake up and feel the pawprint.
Over time I have stopped doing that. We also burn a candle at some
point after they pass for them.

I also bought a frame on the half-off sale at Micheals craft store, and
made a collage of the different ones who passed away last year and gave
it to my fiancĀŽ. It's good to cry I guess. We always will. There is
something about the nature of ferrets that really does make them more
our children than our pets for a lot of us, probably especially the
people who can't have children. Yes, dogs and cats are great, but...
the little ones seem to ravage my heart much more for some reason.

Laryssa