Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:34:03 EST
Over the last few months I have been dealing with a horrible illness
which struck only my Danish angora ferrets.

I had 16 fuzzies, 2 of which were angoras, Spike & Nemo.  Both of them
came down with very flu like symptoms, including hind leg weakness.  My
vet (who specializes in ferrets) ran a blood panel and they indeed had a
nasty viral infection.  Again, none of my other ferrets contracted it,
and they are all free roam in their own room.

To make a long story (and several thousand dollars in vet/hospital bills)
short, both recovered slowly.  Then Spike took a turn for the worse last
week.  The day I took him home from the hospital, he passed in his sleep.
The U of A Diagnostic Lab performed a necropsy, and Spike died from
disseminated lymphosarcoma.  The cells had taken over most of his vital
organs, and were in his blood as well.  He was a bit over 1 year old.  He
appeared normal until he came down with the virus.  Both my vet and I
were stunned.

To those that believe that Danish angoras are healthier than their
American counterparts, it is a complete fallacy.  I hope my tragedy
changes your mind if you are considering an angora.  Save a shelter
ferret instead.

Regards,
Dory & the lucky 15, still mourning Spike