From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:01:45 -0700
I was reading the conversation about the MSPCA's concerns about legalizing
ferrets in Mass. and someone mentioned about how difficult it would be for
them as they would have to add yet another needy animal to their list.

It seems like a fairly unfair reason (IMHO) since the purpose of the SPCA's
are to help all animals in need.  I disagree that the pet stores will be the
major cause of impulse buying and abandonment of ferrets.

Here in BC, the SPCA's won't deal with ferrets except to take them in and
adopt them out again.  If the animals are sick, they call us.  If the
animals need to be sterilized, they call us.  The SPCA hospital does not
treat ferrets at all, nor does it even provide vaccination services.

While this is a dissapointment to us, the SPCA is extremely willing to work
with us and have offered to support us if and when we decide to become an
official non profit organization and has even suggested absorbing any costs
we may incur in the process (at the moment we are not registered as a
charity operation and we fund everything out of our own pockets.)

The majority of the animals we receive are not sterilized which leads us to
believe that they were not originally purchased in pet stores, as something
like 90% of all pet store ferrets are sterilized and neutered BEFORE being
sold.  Rather, small breeders who advertise are the where people are impulse
buying their ferrets, since these ferrets will cost anywhere between $25.00
-$100.00 whereas pet store ferrets cost $224.99 with tax. (this is NOT an
anti-breeder flame.  I would love to breed ferrets personally, but...) Many
people do not impulse buy these ferrets for purely economical reasons.

It seems like a poor reason not to legalize ferrets and strikes me as
perhaps an excuse, and a darn tactical one at that.  If the MSPCA's are so
concerned, they should consider working closely with ferret shelters and
trying to reach an agreement.  Here, the SPCA's very often call us to adopt
the animals and find them homes ourselves, as they prefer to deal primarily
with dogs and cats.  This does create more work for us, but it also shows a
great deal of compassion and concern on their part, as they recognize that
we are more equipped to deal with ferrets than they are themselves.

"We speak for those who cannot speak for themselves"...does this mean the
SPCAs will only speak on the behalf of animals they have a soft spot for?

If I keep putting in my two cents worth, I shall soon be broke.

Sheena
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >