From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:33:14 -0400
>Another announcement I would like to make, hubby and I have opened our
>home and hearts to become a ferret rescue and not just ferret parents.

>Since becoming a rescue that means I have increased my design and
>bedding production even more if we plan on being a success in taking in
>rescues, providing medical care, much needed surgeries, and feeding
>them.  I hope to be able to refrain from asking for out-and-out
>donations, I hope to be able to totally finance our rescue solely on
>bedding proceeds."

Obviously, what Kat posted was directed at me.  So, I am showing the
exact quotes that raised my hackles, so to say.  Fine, call them rescues.
Are they or aren't they adoptables?  If you plan on keeping them forever
and cannot afford to do so, stop taking them in.  If you are a shelter,
then step up to the plate and get ready.  A "rescuer" and a shelter are
not the same.  I will not donate money or support a rescuer who keeps
bringing in new ferrets and cannot afford to do so on their own.  I will
support a shelter.

Kat posted:
>my husband and i have rescued several ferrets...people looking to get
>rid of them...we took them in...
>
>ok...we are not a shelter...so these ferrets are our personal ferrets...
>but THEY ARE STILL RESCUES...WHY would they lose their status as rescues
>JUST BECAUSE they will not be adopted out?...
>
>CORRECTLY...they are not SHELTER ferrets...but they will ALWAYS be
>RESCUED ferrets...even if we are not an 'official' 'Rescue'...the
>ferrets are STILL RESCUES!
>
>so...am i the only one who sees the difference between a Shelter/Rescue
>and a Rescue?

Did you continue to take in rescues once you couldn't afford surgeries
for life threatening situation for the ones you already have?  If you
cannot afford 4 ferrets, you cannot afford 20!

If you can afford the ferrets, then take.  Heck, I have 10 older
ferrets/special needs right now.  Take them!  They are all adoptable,
to those who can afford their on going medical care.  If you take over
their bills, no adoption charge!

OK, bottom line.  Is KarenL a rescuer or a shelter?  A rescuer takes care
of their own without public support.  A shelter (charity) needs 65% of
all financial support to be from non-members, but they provided a service
to the public.  I cannot stand to see a ferret in need.  I know it is
hard, but I cannot stand to see a person drowning, even when they don't
know it.

Yea, I am rambling.  Been a bad week for shelter babies.

Gail Elsey
Exotic Pet Rescue, Rehab and Placement, a 501c(3) charity
www.scalesandtails.org
Iguana Care and Web Organization
www.iguanaden.com
"Help the Helpless"