From:
Brandon Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 05:34:37 PDT
>My question is, does anyone have any suggestions, special warnings, or
>etc.  if I use the fireplace this winter.  (besides the usual of not
>letting the fuzzies out when I have a fire) Oh yes, I will invest in a
>better fire place screen.

Regarding the fireplaces, my little buddies LOVE the fireplace
unfortunately, they seemed to enjoy it more when there was a fire.  They
seemed to lack a natural fear of fire, and two of them singed their little
whiskers by getting to close.  This was definately an example of poor
parenting on my part, I assumed most animals had that natural instinct,
which I imagine they have, but it must be over powered by curiousity.
Fortuntately the other ferrets just laughed at the shorted whiskers and no
real harm was done.

When there was no fire they ALWAYS attempted to use the ashes as a litter
box.  Our fireplace was in an apartment and had a built in screen, that was
stiff.  It pulled from either side, and a weasel with persistence could
always find a way though.  I think each one of my three managed to sneak in
there once or twice.  Very cute when they'd track the black ashes
throughout the house and look at me like "what?" with there sooty little
noses.  Definately a mess, and probably a potential harzdard in terms of
the small particles (ash) they are inhaling.  Mine never had any ill
effects, and I did my best to avoid letting them get there, but you know
ferrets, fortunately our new house doesn't have a fireplace.

The other thing I wanted to mention was litter box alternatives.  Our new
house has woods floors.  When we moved the movers left a huge bundle of
packing paper.  This paper is large basically the size of unfolded
newspaper.  We line the corners of the rooms each day with a new sheet and
the weasels just do the business on them.  We can then easily collect the
mess.  I beats a litter box in every corner, we don't have messy litter
everywhere, nor do we have to hide unsightly litter boxes when company is
over, simply pick up the paper and sanitize the area.  Quick and easy.
Unfortunately i'd be a lot tougher with carpet, having to use multi layers,
but would probably work well under the "auxilary" litter boxes in the
corner to catch those "near misses".

Anyway I thought I'd share the packing paper tip.  I believe you can get it
from just about any moving company, I would think they'd sell the supplies
for the do it your selfers.  Though I don't know.  Since I'm running low on
paper I'll find out pretty soon.

Brandon
Watermark
Tiffy