From:
kristy ishihara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:43:17 -0800
Hi,

I was looking for some opinions regarding timing of adrenal gland
surgery.

I have a 2 1/2 year old, who is just starting to show some hair thinning
in the typical pattern--backside and base of tail.  It's hardly noticable
except in comparison to her sister.  Other than that she does not appear
to have any other symptoms.  Behavior is normal.  Eating/pooping is
normal.  No vulvar swelling.  Sleep/wake pattern/playfulness with her
sister all appear normal.  No weakness, no atrophy.  She is otherwise
healthy and I am sure she would be a great surgical candidate.

Is it better to do the surgery early?  Does it improve prognosis?  Or
will it increase the risk that, at such an early stage, it will be
difficult for the veterinarian to tell which adrenal gland is the
culprit--thus increasing the risk that both end up removed and having
to commit this young ferret to lifelong hormone replacement therapy.  Or
should I wait a bit, until she has a little more obvious hair loss or
doesn't seem to feel as well?  Does a ferret that acts well need early
surgery?

If anyone has any experience or opinions they would like to share, I'd
love to hear them.

Thanks,
Kristy