From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:39:31 EST
I never saw what it looks like when a ferret has impacted anal glands
or has a botched desceting surgery.  I thought I'd tell you all what it
looks like so if it happened to you, you'd know.
[Moderator's note: Some may want to skip the rest if you are eating.  BIG]

My 7 months old femal had a red looking dot or puncture like thing that
caught me eye.  It has like 1/4 of an inch or so to the side of her anus.
I thought she had a puncture,, and that the hard knot underneath was
infected tissue.  But then the other side felt odd.  Next thing I knew as
I was handling her and prodding around the area, some yellow thick pus
seeped out of the area on the other side of her anus (the side with no
visable red mark).  Oh my gosh I thought,,, that dot was where the
swelling bursted, and some of that pus came out.  It had ruptured through
the skin.  Also pus came out of her teensy vagina.  I realized then that
the whole area had infection in it.  She is on antibiotic now, and I'll
confer with a surgeon Monday.

I didn't realize that if some of the anal sac things and tubes were left
in a surgery, that the stuff would still be created, then just seep into
the body cavity so to speak rather than in a formed anal sac.  So thats
where it stands.  I hate weekends.  I hate them when things like this
happen.  Anyway thats what it looks like if you ever wonder.  You cant'
reallllly see anything,,,, if it were not for the red dot, I would have
never zzown................until it was possibly too late.

So check your ferrets bottoms sometimes when they are young.  And I don't
mean just visually.  Visually there would be nothing noticable.  I mean
by feeling around and comparing.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/