Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:08:02 EST
>Im at a loss as what to do to get her to stop being so itchey!  She
>doesn't have fleas or ear mites, that was the first thing ruled out.
>Anyone have any suggestions??

Have you tried Children's Benadryl?  I forget the dosage for a ferret -
you could ask your vet.  It's worth a try.

First of all your ferret may be itchy due to a couple of things.  One
being a late coat change.  One of my kids who got her coat in just two
weeks ago was really itchy until if finally came in.  To help you could
bathe her (just once though) in a oatmeal bath with some oatmeal
conditioner.  This seems to help a great deal.

Two- is there any other signs he/she may be adrenal?

Extreme itchies.... not the regular jump out of their hammy kind along
with a swollen vulva, hair loss, extreme itchiness especially at the neck
area, aggressiveness, trouble urinating, urine leakage, hair loss
starting at the base of the tail are signs of adrenal.

I'd say a vet visit is in order.  Do not give your baby benedryl long
term (more than one or two doses) as this can cause harm.  You need
to find out the source or why he/she is itching.  Look closely at the
skin ... are their any blue tinged patches where the hair might be
thinner?  If so, this just means there is new hair coming in and can
make them more itchy.  Hope this helps.

Leanne and crew