From:
Steve Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 17:14:54 -0400
Hi all,

I'm back again. :-)

I'd like to thank everyone for the _overwhelming_ response I got to my first
post.  I never dreamed there were so many devoted ferret-lovers on the net.
I haven't been able to respond to all the mail, but everyone seemed to have
something helpful to offer, and perhaps a funny anecdote or two.

The consensus leans toward a few trends: mixing various foods; paper- or
plant-based litter; a lack of support for the Vitasol (which I hope to take
back today) in favor of finding or ordering some FerreTone.

And to put minds at ease, our laundry room is set apart with a latched door.
I doubt the 1/4" gap at the bottom will be enough, but we'll see.

At any rate, I have a few more questions:

We don't run the A/C in my apartment, since we have windows on both east and
west sides.  We get a nice cross-breeze with the windows open.  Still, being
in Michigan, it's humid, and the temperature hovers just below 80 indoors
during mid-day.  I know the break point for a ferret's tolerance is around
80.  Is prolonged exposure to temperature just below that bad?  Is an ample
supply of water enough to keep him cool?  I've read about keeping a 2L
bottle of ice handy to cool things down.  Also, someone offered a tip about
keeping a piece of slate underneath the cage bottom.  Should I take any
special precautions?

Also, since we keep the windows open, that exposes our screens.  Most of the
windows are elevated, although not out of jumping or climbing range.  Since
we only intend to keep the critter out when one of us is home, I think we'd
hear any prolonged scratching at the screen.  Do you think there's a danger
that he might get through too quickly?  Also, since we're second floor, the
spill would probably be really harmful, if not fatal, so I'm concerned.

It seems that most pet shops sell ferrets at 14-16 weeks of age, which seems
too early for neutering or descenting.  Yet they do both.  I'd much prefer
to buy an unfixed ferret, then get the operations performed in a more safe,
timely manner if there might be health complications in the future.  Does
anyone have any experience with ferrets which have been fixed at an early
age?  Have you noticed problems?  I suppose it partly depends on how
qualified the vet who operates on them is, but I'd rather be safe than
sorry.

Finally, it's fairly obvious most of you have computers. :-)  Is chewing on
the cables a common problem?  In general, it doesn't bother me to make a $15
trip to the computer store to replace a gnawed wire, but if there's a chance
of electrocution, I want to be cautious.  I'm considering bundling all of my
cables with twister ties and duct taping them to the underside of my desk.
Same with all the power cords behind my TV and stereo.

(BTW, in a bit of irony, my wife works with children all day, and is
intimately familiar with the concept of child-proofing.  Now she gets to
come home to another child at night.  :-)

Again, many thanks to everyone who sent me mail.  I've found a lot of the
practical experience I was looking for... things that you just don't take
away from reference materials and FAQs.  I've found it invaluable.

Steve