From:
"TinyPrints Left......On My Heart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:59:47 -0400
That is the only shot my vet will use.  He has also found it to have much
lower reaction incidents.  He has also found that the rabies has caused
more reactions in ferrets then the distemper.  Hence the reason for
giving two separate shots.  We always pretreat here with liquid benedry
1 hour before shot time, and knock wood, have never had a single
reaction.  I have witnessed reactions with both no pretreatment and also
benedry shots.  Due to showing with the AFA, I have to use Purvac or
Fervac with my show ferrets, but the ones who I don't show I have now
switched over to the Galaxy shots.  I am one who gives both shots on the
same day, and have been lucky to have no reactions.  I also keep a supply
of fluids on hand and am vet assistant trained.  Dawn (of LOS) told me
about titer studies that were done on ferrets.  Galaxy D remains in a
ferrets body alot less longer then Fervac or Purvac, which would explain
the lower incidents of reactions.  I think there should be an official
study on titer levels so that we are not over vaccinating our ferrets.
Dogs now are on an every 2 year schedule for distemper and every 3 years
for rabies.  This is due to the titer levels. (which show their immunity
to either rabies or distemper).

Marguerite

TinyPrints Shih Tzu and Rescue
http://www.tinyprints-shihtzu.com
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue
http://www.tinyprintsferrets.com
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Ebay and Half.com Stores
http://www.stores.ebay.com/tinyprintsferretrescuestore
http://half.ebay.com/shops/shops.jsp?seller_id=1093064