From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:30:50 -0500
>  - excessively high red blood cell count
>  - 72% of red blood cells vs serum (normal values in the 50% range?)
>    in a centrifuge test to separate sells from serum
>  - 15,000 cells per microliter in the count of number of red blood
>    cells per field on the slide (normal 6k-11k/microliter?)

Gotta say that I'd not start treatment at this time, with no conclusive
evidence for what's going on.  I have seen elevated red cell counts
before, and at 72% in an otherwise pretty normal ferret, I would schedule
for a repeat CBC and monitor the condition.  I have seen these counts go
back to normal more often than not.  I am currently treating a ferret for
polycythemia vera (which is a cancer of the bone marrow that produces
excessive red cells) and his presenting red cell count was over 90%.

However, if the elevated red count should persist, then some testing
should be considered.  A splenic aspirate is a possibility, and so is a
bone marrow aspirate.  I have seen ferrets with adrenal disease have
elevated red counts, so that should be looked into.

Good luck, and hopefully this is a transient thing, and not a cause for
alarm.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.