From:
Diana Cohoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 04:23:22 -0400
First of all I have a concern about the ferrets at one of the local
Petcos around here.  A few months ago I was in there and all of the fuzzy
animals were on quarantine, for what I am not sure, and not for sale.
Since then, I have been in there several times and seen the same batch of
ferrets there every time.  They are all probably about five or six months
(or more) by now and rather large and it appears that nobody is buying
them because they are not the cute tiny little kits that they are
expecting.  THey have only sold a couple of them since they were on
quarantine.  My concern is what will happen to them if they are not sold.
I already have three ferrets and cannot afford more or I would buy one to
make sure that it goes to a loving home.  I know that most of us do not
like to buy ferrets from Petco, but if anyone is considering getting
another ferret, please think of these poor babies that nobody seems to
want because they're too "old." This is the Factoria Petco, located in
the Factoria Mall near Bellevue, WA.  Also if anybody knows what Petco
does with the ferrets they don't sell, please let me know.

My other concern is my youngest ferret Kennedy.  (By the way, thanks to
everybody who gave me suggestions for her name.  I named here Kennedy
aftere The Dead Kennedys.) She is generally rather friendly, but she is
more wild, I guess, then the other two.  She takes much more of an
interest in sneaking around and hiding behind things than them, almost as
if hse is talking some prey.  She loves to kiss our faces extensively,
but the rest of our bodies is another matter, especially our arms.  She
will give my arm a lick and then she will bite down, hard.  Her favorite
spots to do this are the wrist write above the thumb and the inside of
the elbow.  She likes to bite our toes as well, but I almost expect that
with their extreme fascination with feet.  All of my other ferrets liked
to nibble when they were young, but they grew out of it rather quickly.
She hasn't.  I was just hoping for some insight as to why she might be
doing this and possibly some suggestions for stoppingthis behavior.  I
wouldn't really mind if it didn't HURT so much when she does it.

Thank you,
Diana, Paul,
Molly, Joey Ramone, and Kennedy