From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:39:51 -0400
Sukie wrote:
>Alicia, those hypotheses are interesting, but they still are only
>hypotheses about adrenal neoplasias just like all the rest remain only
>hypotheses no matter who wrote them (including me).  There are a number
>of such postulations which are based upon a reasonable amount of info
>about the biology involved.

How true Sukie, however I have spent time at seminars studying the
endocrine systems etc., I hope that gives me a bit of knowledge on the
topic.  I know these were perhaps not specific to the ferret endocrine
system, but they do work relatively the same.  ( why else do they use
them -- ferrets in the labs?) The fact is, that support is given to
humans when they are spayed or neutered, hormonal support -- which is not
practical, feasible etc., for pets.  It seems to make a difference however.

While I do not say I am correct in my interesting hypothesis, those who
treat canines for cushings which is another adrenal related malady - may
well understand the correlation with unplugging one system in a network.
(I am now 3 years after spaying my dog treating her for a thyroid condition
that just manifested itself!  )

For illustration purposes: running a vehicle on one less cylinder than is
optimal-- it will run but not smoothly and eventually it won't run at all.
yes eventually the misfirings boil down to a vehicle that -- at some point
it gives out.  Though this illustration is a mechanical one and less
complicated than the combined networks of a living system-- it does
illustrate the scenario of a failing system.

Yes indeed!!  We need someone to do studies... I bet there are a lot of
ferrets owned by humans that would participate.  I have personally seen a
huge difference in the overall health of ferrets ( with relation to adrenal
related illness) neutered at 6-12 months and those neutered at 4-6 weeks.
In time I hope there will be explanations for the adrenal related health
conditions which manifest themselves now at 1-2 years of age instead of
at 6-8 years of age-- as when I began working with shelter ferrets.

Alicia