From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:34:45 EST
LOL, I'm so sorry for laughing, but this is hysterical and not at all
that uncommon with some deaf ferrets.  I've heard this so many times
before.  It seems like some of the more creative deaf weasels have found
a way to ignore their caretakers much like a child.

So what do you do is the big question.  Well, if we are not talking about
nipping or biting, that can be difficult.  I"ve not had this myself, but
like I said, have come caroused it a lot on the net.  I guess what you
must do is become creative yourself.  First off, no matter what the
ferret cannot ignore you scruffing and dragging.  If it chooses to close
its eyes to you chastising, well, there is not much you can do there I
think.  But the act of scruffing and dragging should be enough.  One
option would be to somehow, get the animals attention (touching, moving
head, etc) and quickly make your face and show your finger or chosen sign
language sign for no, and then scruff and drag.  Or possibly, pick up the
pet, hold by one hand under the front legs and chest so that they are
facing you and quickly chastise, then scruff and drag.  But I honestly
think the scruffing and dragging is enough ... because that is what "no"
is in ferret language.  I've not used the time out technique but others
have.  And this would be another option.  Have a little plain cage, or
carrier with nothing in it.  Scuff the ferret, put them in the carrier,
then looking in sign no and make a face.  Leave them there for 60-120
seconds to "think about it" and then let them out again.

If others have ideas for disciplining an otherwise intelligent deaf
ferret, please lets hear from you.

Wolfy