From:
Jerry King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:27:16 -0800
>From:    "Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Several thoughts on unrelated stuff . .

>On ferrets and babies--
>...But, essentially, ferrets are NOT EVER to be left unsupervised with a
>baby or access to a baby.  PERIOD.  I don't think it's meanness, it's just
>some sort of instinct, either to take care of the baby or maybe just shut
>the noisy thing up.  But a ferret can only bite a baby if a parent is
>neglecting their responsiblities to protect both animals and children.
>ALL animals must be closely supervised around children too young to defend
>themselves."

Sheri is right on the money here!  You know, it's the irresponsible parents
out there that are contributing to tarnishing the ferret's image.  If there
are babies that have been bitten by ferrets (not the worst thing in the
world, by the way) then we should send nasty letters to the parents.  They
are the REAL culprits.  Animals are neither good nor bad, the same way
nature is neither good nor bad.  Those are man-made terms.  Don't blame the
animals.

On a related note, I think that Sheri is onto something about the squeaking
noise.  I have one ferret that is the sweetest, nicest little girl in the
world.  But, when I squeak one particular toy, she goes ballistic!  She
is not interested in the toy, she attacks ME!  I put my arm out and she
latches onto it like a rabid pit bull.  I can lift my arm in the air with
her attached!  She even whips her head back and forth trying to rip the
skin off of it!  To me, this is an interesting insight into her
personality, and a possible connection to the "baby" problem.  I have had
others tell me of similar squeaking from some type of birds that drives
there ferrets into "kill mode."

Now, I don't let anyone near my ferrets anyway, but if I had a baby I
certainly would be supervising the encounter the ENTIRE time.  That is
called responsible parenting.  This is the real issue as far as I am
concerned.

Jerry King