From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:51:04 -0400
To Kim Platz:

>Now, maybe I just never noticed this before or maybe he just had a growth
>spurt (at 2 years???) but suddenly I can feel his teeth on my leg when he
>has is mouth closed and is just laying still.  Is this normal?

Yes, it is normal, and no, there hasn't been any growth spurt.  Ferrets'
teeth, like other carnivores' teeth do not grow after they are fully
developed.  (Horse's and rodents teeth, though grow throughout their life.)
It is more of an optical illusion than anything else.  Actually two factors
contribute to this "phenomenon" - a) you have some retraction of the gum
which makes the tooth appear longer, and b) there is often a groove formed
by the continual presence and pressure of the tooth on the upper and lower
lips, so that the tooth is more apparent as the animal gets older.  This
condition requires no treatment or concern.

>Is it true that as a >general rule, the faster the animal's heart rate the
>faster their metabolism?  And if so, is it also true that the faster the
>metabolism, the shorter the life span?

As a general rule, yes.  There are exceptions, but heart rate generally
correlates well with metabolic rate.  And the higher the metabolism, the
faster the machinery burns out.  Personally, I'm surprised that hummingbirds
don't just spontaneously combust..... :)

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath