From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 08:13:55 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Maria <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vomiting ferrets
>I am writing an article about ferrets and vomiting.  What can be the causes?
>How can we find out what the problem is?  What can be done?

I have some information for seminars I have given.  E-mail me directly and
we can discuss it.

>From:    Samone Cook <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: HELP!  Sick Ferret!
>...Originally signed on to learn as much as possible about insulinoma.

I usually start with surgery since from a cost:benefit aspect it works best.

>From:    Stephanie Yoong <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret question--sprite with enlarged vulva
>A question: My lil girl, Spice, four yrs old, DEW, spayed and descented (she
>is a MF girl) has developed an enlarged vulva that is weeping a little bit
>of whitish...

I would still consider adrenal disease as the primary possibility (with a
secondary vaginitis).

>From:    "Woodward, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sneezing Ferret
>Hello All, I have a ferret (Sable Male 20 mths old, answers ?? to Jean-Luc)
>that has sneezing fits several times a day.  The local vet can find no...

If you are in an area with high pollen counts, consider hay fever.  A trial
course of Benadryl may help if this is the case.

>From:    Andrea the Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Parvo-like ferret illness (help!) (fwd)
>An update... we still need help.  If anyone out there has had experience
>with this, please let me know.  My vet is currently treating the symptoms,
>but doesn't know what this can be... and Bean may not be able to survive

Two possibilites.  1) Epizootic Catarrhal Enteritis.  Caused probably by a
coronvirus or rotavirus.  Symptoms are similar enough to canine parvovirus.
2) Helicobacter gastritis.  I would opt for 1).

If your vet has access to Exotic Pet Practice Veterinary Journal, have them
check out the May 1997 issue.  They can also call me (I'm in the AVMA
Directory).

>From:    Melanie Hough <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: itchy ferret

Both the petromalt or more likely the prednisone can cause the diarrhea.  If
the itch is gone, I would continue the prednisone but add either kaopectate
or peptobismol (i ml orally four times daily) to control the diarrhea.  If
the itch is still present, consider another source such as scabies or food
allergy.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA