From:
Sue Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:21:27 EDT
I visited a Petco store in the Joliet, Illinois area today and what did I
find?!?  4 beautiful ferrets sharing a small aquarium with a glass lid on
it.  Their "cage" also had no litter box, had a floor covered in paper
shavings, 2 EMPTY food dishes and a water bottle big enough for 1 critter.
The water bottle spout was 1 inch above the bottom of the cage.  As I
watched, 1 of the poor critters had to do an acrobatic routine to get a
drink.  Another was desperately trying to get food from the empty bowl.

I spoke to the manager of this store and informed her she was abusing the
ferrets.  Her answer was: They are fed 3 times a day and seem happy.  I
pointed out the need for the water bottle to be shoulder height, the need
for a litter pan and the need for continuos food.  I even had to explain
the digestive system of the ferret to her.  Imagine!  This is a manager of
a PET (?) store that sells and knows about ferrets ????

We need to mount a campaign against the abuse these poor helpless creatures
are receiving at Petco stores.  Education seems to fall upon deaf ears at
these stores.  Perhaps if we mounted together again, we will have some
success.

Hoping to hear from you and hoping you will help me in the campaign to
educate these ignorant people and store owners about the care and life of
the ferret.

Thanks,
Sue and the  5 carpet sharks
Abigail