From:
"Valori K. Blank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 14:11:01 -0600
Hello everyone,

CANCER SCREENING
I am curious as to how all you out in there in FML-land handle preventive
cancer screenings.  I have read the recommendations in the FAQ as to what
tests to do and when, but was rather suprised upon going to my substitute
vet (University of Wisconsin-Madison Vet Training School) and finding out
that the tests they recommend (basically the same as the FAQ) would run over
$150 per year for my 2 year old and 4.5 year old ferrets.  Neither are
showing any signs of poor health.  Plus, I've just added another 2 year old
since visiting the vet so this would be getting even more expensive.  If all
these vet bills are really a good idea, I don't have any problem spending
the money on the little guys, but when some of you speak of having a dozen
ferrets scampering around, I somehow doubt you are paying ~$80/ferret/year
on cancer tests.  What tests do real people do, and what are fair prices?

TEETH CLEANING
My initial purpose for the vet visit mentioned above was the condition of my
4.5 year old ferrets teeth.  I adopted him from a Humane Society when he was
three and a half, and he had spent the first part of his life being fed
Purina Cat Chow.  Skinniest ferret I've ever seen, and I think his teeth
suffered as well.  His canines are worn way down and discolored, his gums
are really red and sore looking, and he has green gunk stuck to the sides of
his back teeth.  Is this green stuff the tarter spken of in other threads?
The UW vet said he didn't think anything needed to be done about the teeth,
but if I insisted on getting them cleaned it would cost $100+ or some such.
Is this just how old ferret teeth look or can something be done?

Thanks in advance, Val Blank with Gromit, Noah, and Gimpy (<- sorry, he
wasn't meant to be named that but it kind of stuck - I feel so guilty!) from
Madison, Wisconsin