From:
Chris Libby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:50:53 -0500
I am personally offended by the 'throw away pet' poem.  I've had my ferrets
for almost three years now, and I do whatever I can for them...but my life
now is much more hectic than my life then.  They spend most of the day in
their cage...somedays I don't have any time to let them out.  I've been
trying for the last six months to find them a better home with people who
have more time than I do, and every time I try I get bombarded with emails
telling me I should have never got them in the first place.

Well - this is what I have to say to that: Which is better for the ferrets
- to be in a home with someone who either is unable or unwilling to take
better care of them, or to be given to a home which can?  That doesn't seem
like a hard question to answer, now does it.  I've actually turned down two
potential homes because these people had no idea what they were getting
into.

I don't know about the majority of situations, but I'm not the 'throw-away'
type person.  I've done everything I can for these two ferrets (which I
didn't even purchase in the first place), but when everything one can do
just doesn't cut it - it's time for one to seek out another who can.

Now, maybe my response is a bit harsh - we all know the shelters are filled
with pets because people just don't realize what thier getting into.
However...not all of us who wish to give up their pets are doing so for
selfish reasons.  Please bear this in mind before raining hellfire & fury
on those who are looking for a better life for thier pet.

-Chris