From:
christine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:26:40 -0700
Hi all<

I have only been able to skim the FMl mail lately so may be missing the
thread entirely but I would like to comment on the posts regarding
poverty and affording healthcare for pets.

First I would like to say I am more than well aware there are truly
neglectful,selfish,cruel ,irresponsible pet owners who deny medical
care to their pets.

Having said that there are even more ferret owners who are responsible
but are faced with a big and real problem when a pet needs expensive
health care , is elderly or requires long term health maintainance.

Fully one quarter of Americans are now without health insurance for
themselves.If you lose your job or have inadequate insurance, access to
healthcare is very limited.People themselves go without basic health
services because they have no money,or very little money.  I hardly
think a woman with breast cancer who has been dropped by her insurance
company , cannot afford chemo on her own and does not get it, is being
irresponsible.  If you think that does not really happen then you watch
too many medical shows on TV.

For those with limited means, to be blamed and told they have no right to
pets,( children family etc???) , that they cannot foot the bill for
should something go wrong ..  is elitist.

Everyone has their own circumstances.if you have had a beloved pet for
a long time and find that pet ill, but you are now a retired person,
unemployed person or just a middle class person struggling with family
expenses what choices can you make.

What about those who have just taken a pet into their home only to find
out it has big health problems?  What should they do?.The irresponsible
dump the pet.  the responsible do the best they can anyway they know
how..

How many are four paychecks and in debt up to their eyeballs , away, from
being unable to afford healthcare should a pet become very ill?..  or
should they become drastically ill?..Should we take the pet away now and
call you irresponsible?  .

Will a vet take care of your ferret because he/she is a nice person if it
becomes seriously ill,needs a few hundred dollars worth of vaccinations
and blood tests,develops a chronic condition?  Will a vet give you a
discount rate if you say you love your ferret and beg?  I don't think so.
At least not most of the time.

Perhaps the fault is not in the people who are poor, low paid,
financially struggling with a family,but in the healthcare delivery
system for pets and humans alike in this country?

Dooks,
Christine

Twilight girls Art pages
Smiling squeezles weasels pages