From:
Jim Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 19:23:52 -0800
Shelter Closing

Most on this list do not know me/us, as we usually lay low and try
to stay out of everyone's way. We do not have the fancy fundraisers,
raffles, or people making things for our little shelter.

We have tried to keep our little dream of a shelter alive, despite
little support from the community, adopters and volunteers. Like many
other shelters around the country, we find it extremely difficult to
keep things running, with no ferrets getting adopted, no money coming
in, but more ferrets always being surrendered. (we are closed to
intakes)

In recent months, we have racked our little brains trying to find
ways to keep things going. We get help from an "angel" up north, and
occasional supporters in the region, but it's not enough. Even with our
501c3 Non-profit status (oh yeah, that will help with donations) few
people want to help out a ferret shelter in this area. If not for our
"angel" up north, and our own pockets, our "kids" would go hungry.

I basically have (2) choices -- close the shelter, or lose a 23 year
relationship with my wife. My wife's increasing back problems hamper
her ability to maintain the constant cleaning of the shelter, after
working a 40+ hour job.

My 40-50 hours a week job, gives me less time each day to help her
clean. By the time I get home, most of the shelter is cleaned from
top to bottom, every day, 7 days a week.

I need to find some way to relocate the ferrets in our shelter. I know
that other shelters are overcrowded, and overworked -- I have no other
choice!!

I am open to any ideas, other than letting the loose in the woods,
putting them down, or any other smart ideas. If you have any valid
ideas, or can take some of these ferrets, please let me know. We have
(34) ferrets that need new accommodations, most are healthy but a few
have minor issues. We will keep the ones with issues, so as not to
further burden anyone willing to help.

I await any offers of help, and I'm sure there will be flames, from
those that are "perfect" and love to "hear" themselves talk.

Flamers, I don't need it, and will not give the satisfaction of a
response.

Please help. -- I'm running out of time!

Jim

Ferret Rescue of Maine
A State licensed, 501c3 Non-profit shelter.
Donate to shelter ferrets by clicking
igive.com/from