From:
Modern Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:12:49 -0500
>From:    Ardith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Modern Ferret Treats
>
>In the last issue of Modern Ferret it was suggested to put some of our
>fuzzies regular food in a container along with some raisins, banana chips,
>etc.  The food will take on the smell/taste of the fruit and be a *good
>for them* treat.  I tried it with raisins in a Ziploc bag, it worked.  My
>3 kids think I'm wonderful. <G>  Thanks to Modern Ferret for another great
>tip.  In Touch, Ardith

I have long felt that the BEST ferret treat (both for _yourself_ AND your
ferrets) is to spend time playing with your ferrets.

You get the benefit of enjoying the little furry playbuddies they they
are.  (Isn't that why you wanted them in the first place?) They get the
benefit of companionship and intellectual stimulation.  Win - win.

The benefit of using their regular food as the "treat" is that you've
already put your thought into what is a good diet for them.  Giving them
more of that diet isn't going to change that.  But what is different for
the ferrets is that you are giving them the food WITH ATTENTION.

Although "spiking" the food by allowing it to pick up some treat scent
(like the example above of allowing it to pick up some raisin scent) works
great, I'd have to say that a lot of time the treats here in our house
come straight from the food bowl.

Note: I especially like to do this during "can't watch TV" - that is,
shows like ER that we put on but I'm too squeamish to watch the screen
even though I listen to most of the show.

I sit on the floor and grab the food right from their regular bowl.  The
ferrets all run up to me and each does whatever their particular trick is:
stand up and beg, roll over, etc.  They then get a piece of food.  They
either eat it immediately, run off and eat it, or run off and stash it.
Then they come back for more.  There's no concern about spoiling their
appetite - it's the same food they would have eaten anyway.  But it's a
whole lot more exciting for them!

It is very rare for any of them to give up and just get food from the
bowl - even when they see that that's where I'm getting it from.  The
interaction and play are the key.

- Eric

Modern Ferret Magazine - For ferret owners. By ferret owners.
Mary & Eric Shefferman & the Fuzzies:
Trixie, Balthazar, Cauliflower, Koosh, and Gabrielle
http://www.modernferret.com  - http://www.ferrettradingpost.com
http://www.ferretdesigns.com - http://www.ferrettelevision.com
Sign up for our new FREE e-newsletter at http://www.modernferrets.com