From:
Vesna Kovach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 14:29:25 +0000
Dear Kelly,

>I'm having a terrible problem.  Ferrethead used to use the litter pan most
>of the time.  Well since I got Chloe, Jerry and Champ this past month they
>Don't use the litter pan all the time an npw everyone including Ferrethead
>is pottying all over my house.  How do I stop this madness?

We had a similar problem as we added ferrets.  We added litter boxes, and
the problem went away within a few days.

I'm not a scientist, but I've learned from reading Bob Church's and others'
postings that establishing territory via poop smells is an extremely
important social thing for ferrets.

So...we hypothesized that our ferrets needed more poopable territory than we
were providing.  *Even though* it seemed to *us* that there was plenty of
litter for everyone with two boxes.

The solution: provide more "legitimate" poop spots, meaning litter boxes.

We added a couple of litter boxes (total of three or four), and, we believe,
the balance of Poop Places was restored, fixing the problem.

Hope this info is helpful to you!

Sincerely,

Vesna Kovach
Editor, Madison Pet Gazette