From:
"~*Jules*~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:21:39 -0500

Hi!
After quitting my job at pickering, I know I'm reallly going to miss the
animals.  So, I've decided to try to pursue a little idea of mine to
start a small scale pet sitting, and ferret rescue.  By pet sitting I
mean baby sitting people's small animals (cage animals only, no cats or
dogs.  Just rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs, mayyybe reptiles and
the like) and by rescue I mean, well Pickering's gotten a few surrendered
ferrets and I'm sure there are more and since I'm not at pickering
anymore and don't think the ferrets there will get the best care anymore,
I want to take in the surrenders so they don't have to (don't ask me how
i'm going to get them to recommend me or anything.  I don't know.  I
don't even know if they're mad at me or not)

I don't mean 20 or even 10 ferrets.  I mean maybe 3 or 4 at a time.
Maybe 6 at maximum.  Just so they have a nice place to stay until they
find a new home.  I would go on a ferret to ferret basis.  Evaluate if i
could take them in and if i couldn't, give them the name of a shelter.
Anyway, it's just a rough basic idea currently.  I didn't even think I
had a chance at starting it because I thought my dad would say no.  But
he actually said that he thought it would be something i would enjoy
and told me to write up all the details i could think of to see how
achevieable it is!!  Sooo It might happen!  I was wondering what might
be involved in starting something like that.  Do i need any special
lisences?  Should I find a company to sponsor me?  I thought maybe I
could ask a company to give money if I gave out their card with all my
rescues (like have a lil packet of stuff that goes with each ferret
including a list of sponsors?) Or something like that.  Other than being
able to afford it and have money for ferret vet bills.  What is involved?
Is there a disclaimer i should write up for the pet sitting, and a
surrender form for the rescue?

I'd really appreciate any information as long as no one is going to
discourage me (unless they have a realllly good reason to) I know i
don't want to go into it unprepared and I definately won't start a large
scale rescue because I won't be able to keep it going for years and
years.  I just want to start something small so that i can be around
animals and help what ferrets i can in the time that i have.  So any
advice or websites or anything would be a great help!  I am in PA near
philly incase anyone knows of laws about that kinda thing for around
here!

Thanks so much!
- Jules